{ meet eric kippum }

Well, I may not have mentioned this on the blog (although I think I tweeted a bit about it), but about a week and a half ago we became a family of five. That’s right, five. My jaw still drops at that number. We flew over to Korea and brought back home this little guy…

Eric Kippum Tennis. Also known around here as “Kip” until he grows into his big boy name. He is all cheeks and smiles and the chunkiest thighs you’ve ever squeezed…

Kip was a surprise. Didn’t think you could have a “surprise adoption”? Think again. One day in the middle of June, I was working in the studio and got a call from our placement agency (from Lance’s adoption) here in the US. Lance had a little half-brother… who was almost one year old. And Korea wanted to know if we wanted to have him. Um… oh boy did we!! It wasn’t what we had planned, that’s for sure.  We had thought we were done with having kids, or if down the line we did go through the long two year process again that we might request a little girl. But all of the sudden all of that faded away, and we thought about this question: could we imagine him living anywhere else? The answer to that was emphatically “no”, so we jumped in feet first – with both of ’em. We went from nothing to homestudy and paper ready in one short month. Then we waited for the travel call – and it came the first week of October again with 4 days notice. It was the thick of rice harvest, but we packed our bags and headed back over to Seoul sweet Seoul for five days before bringing this sweet baby home. On another long plane flight.

Kip is 14 months old – he seems easy-going and is already in awe of his two big brothers. Can you believe we have three boys? Both older brothers are very affectionate toward Kip… although I have to say I am the most impressed with our little Lance. I had concerns about him (how often can you say you’ve been the oldest, become the youngest and are now a middle child?). He has been incredibly mature and kind and seems to view Kip as an interesting anthropological experiment: “Baby. Baby cying.” or “Uh oh. Baby milk.” (picking up a dropped sippy cup).

All three boys are within three pounds of each other. Really. 28, 29 and 31 lbs respectively (Lance is the heaviest).

Matt hasn’t had much time with the boys as he is in the thick of seven-days-a-week rice harvest. But it’s actually been a good time for me to settle in, organize and get the baby used to me and our little schedule.

Next is a sweet sad image from the day we brought Kip home to our hotel room… we have similar pictures of Lance but I never shared them on the blog. Maybe I just wanted to give with you all the bright and sweet sides to adoption? Anyway, change on a baby is hard. Very hard. This is poor little Kip having his first bottle with me…

He is much much happier now. Even one week later this little bit is becoming a distant memory. But heartbreak, even for babies, is difficult.

Big brother Cameron loves Kip too. Because of the age gap he doesn’t view him as a threat at all, and is always trying to help him out, actually. Because I have to sometimes carry two heavy boys around, he has really stepped up to the plate to help me out, and open doors, hold hands, run and get something, etc. I’m super proud of him.

Kip is the perfect blend of our other two children…

He sleeps well and he eats well. Who knew life could be so easy? Third child indeed.

I’ll leave you with one of the only photos I have of all three boys so far…

…our first Saturday home, and we made it to Farmer’s Market. Some things are too good to miss out on.

Who would have thought we would be a family of five! And so quickly! I think I can pretty safely say our gang is now complete.

Coming up on the blog – a fall wreath, harvest, and our favorite engrish from Korea! Stay tuned!

• PRECIOUS! We are so very excited for you and Matt and the boys. What a gorgeous family. Congratulations.

• Alicia says:

wow! congrats, what a group of cutie little guys! Kip’s cheeks are just too much and his smile is so sweet!

I know you all will have many happy adventures together! :)

• Kelly Grago says:

So very cool the way our GOD works! Enjoyed briefly meeting Kip at church on Sunday. Enjoy your expanded family!!! :)

• Laura says:

Oh he is just darling! What a sunny happy smile! And what very special big brothers he has. We are so happy for your family!

• Lara Wingler says:

Love it! Way to drop everything to answer the Lord’s call. *hugs* He’s adorable, like his brothers.

• Jana says:

So amazing!!! What a great story. This made me cry, and I am so so so happy for you guys! Good luck with three boys! They are all so blessed to have such an amazing, wonderful family. I hope we can visit in the near future, Kip and Arrow are only about a month apart.
    Lots of love and hugs to you guys!
    -The Matlock’s

• Rachel M says:

Love.Love.Love this! The pictures are adorable! Love the one with Kip in Cam’s lap…such a good big brother! Can’t wait to meet Kip someday! Tell Cammy ‘hi’ from Miss Rachel. :)

• kippeum's foster father says:

Oh! lovely kippeum!!^**^ very love! from korea kippeum’s family

• Maggie says:

Congratulations!! What a wonderful family you have!

• Amy says:

Oh wow! Congrats!!! You are very lucky to have 3 beautiful boys! Also very unique that Kip is related to Lance. I can’t wait to see more pictures of them growing up on the blog.

• Emily says:

So excited for you guys!

• Rachel says:

He is adorable. All three of them are adorable. Best wishes and blessings.

• Pamela says:

Congratulations!!! You have such beautiful children! Kip’s smile just melts your heart!!!

• minna says:

I don’t even remember how I ever came across your blog but I did somehow and I’ve saved it under my bookmarks page for months now. What a blessing it is to have three beautiful children, and how blessed your children are for having such amazing parents! I’m Korean myself so it’s so fun to follow your blog and see your Korea updates, as well as the simple updates of life at home with your kids. God bless you, and may your children grow in His amazing love and joy!

• Niki says:

Such wonderful news. What a perfect addition to your family! We just brought our third home from the hospital and three kids is a trip. It’s kind of like a Darwinian experiment based on your own ability to survive. Ha! I hope you all are adjusting well. Little Kip is darling.

• Congratulations Rebekah! What a gift.

• Deana-Marie says:

I was adopted 43 years ago, and from a child’s perspective … I have always felt very blessed indeed! Congratulations to the Tennis family!

• Oh yay!! You got him home!! So happy for you, he’s just adorable! Looks like you’ll certainly have your hands full!!

• Andrea says:

This brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations from a mom of 3 sweet boys myself! The brother bond is the best:)