I actually hadn’t planned to do a post on this (have the master bath details and also a pretty wedding suite we just printed all lined up and ready to go). But how often does one change decades? Not too many times – I’ve only done it twice so far (my thirtieth birthday being tomorrow, still 29 here, folks)! So, it seemed a good time for a bit of reflection and pondering accomplishments/failures/lessons, not to mention looking forward to the future and what it may bring.
Anyone who knows me well knows I loooove lists… the pleasure of checking things off satisfies some deep primal urge to feel organized and accomplished all at the same time, I guess. And while I think most people make “30 before they turn 30″ lists, as usual, I’m late on the bandwagon, but what matter? Here’s a “30 while I’m 30″ list… a fun way to gear up and goal up for this new decade!
Here goes nothin’ (and in random order no less!)…
Eat local, eat seasonal.(we’ve been eating local/seasonal since January, so I’m cheating on this one… but I need to keep it going) Aced this one!!
Go to the farmer’s market every week.(so far, six weeks strong!) What was life like before the farmer’s market?
- Write 30 personal handwritten notes. This should be doable in a year, right? I’ve got the stationery for sure…
- Get back to my goal weight (8 lbs down, won’t say how many to go!!)
- Clean kitchen cupboards. Eradicate ants that are attempting invasion. Check, check!
Potty train the boy.Yay, mission accomplished!
- Go to the Ashland, Oregon Shakespeare festival. It was fabulous. What art and culture isn’t?
- Travel somewhere (at least once).
- Remember birthdays and anniversaries!! I’m shockingly bad at this.
- Listen to new pieces of classical music.
- Organize my linen closet. It’s shameful. Much less shameful now.
- Convince my parents to move up here. Mom, Dad?
Learn how to make a pie crust from scratch, and do it well. (Audrey? Help!) Still working on the “do it well” part…
- Attempt to learn Calligraphy. Even if I fail, I’ve got to try.
- Finish Master Bedroom. So happy that it’s finally done!
- Teach Cameron to swim.
- Have friends (old and new) over to dinner frequently.
- Complete my study of eschatology. (honestly, I’ve only scratched the surface so far – I need to finish three full books)
- Go to the Alameda Flea Market. Any Bay Area people want to meet up there? We went!
- Investigate/find a good lotion or eye cream to control wrinkles. None yet, but ounce of prevention, pound of cure, etc. Now gray hairs are another matter…
- Turn upstairs bedroom into a boy’s room. Nearly there…
- Run (at least) a half marathon. I’m hoping for a whole, but we’ll see. Right now I’m only at the 5K stage…
- Master/create my own version of California-esque Filipino cuisine. I love Filipino food but would like to try and make it more understandable/less foreign to picky Americans. Something like what Sunset has been doing a bit, maybe…
- Read a light and fluffy summer novel down by the lake at the family cabin.
- Exhibit at the National Stationery Show next spring. I wish I may, I wish I might…
- Have a date night every other week. We’ve been shockingly bad at this. You’d think we don’t like each other (we do).
- Create a small album of our wedding designs for retail stores that have requested it.
- Do something stimulating and different with Cameron once a week. A new book, a field trip, a coffee shop, something special.
- Figure out the local drama/theatre scene. I’m sad to admit I’ve yet to go to a play in Chico.
- And lastly but definitely not least… Take Down Our Christmas Lights before NEXT Christmas happens! Yay, we did it!!!!!
Those are reasonable, right? Note that I didn’t say “consistently get the laundry done” or anything impossible like that. 😛 I’ll be crossing them off as they get completed. Check back to see how much of a slacker I’ve gotten done!
And just because I never do a post without an image…